Mr David Bullman (Honorary Life Member, former Show Secretary & Caretake) compiled 'A history of the Yass Pastoral and Agricultural Association and the Yass Show Society Inc. 1863-1995'.
An extract follows outlining the origins of the Yass Show in 1863:
An article published in July 1832 in the Yass Courier, in which the editor advocated the calling of a meeting to start an association. The first meeting lapsed because of lack of interest. The second was called but again failed. In 1862 another meeting was called and the decision was made to hold the first Yass Show in March 1863. Those elected to hold office were as follows:
President H O'Brien Douro
Vice President Rees Jones Taemas
J S Calvert Cavan
Hamilton Hume Cooma Cottage
Secretary S A Gilder Banker
Treasurer J B de Carr Banker
A group was formed to draw up rules and regulations. The name decided upon - The Yass Agricultural, Horticultural and Pastoral Association.
The first exhibition was on land loaned by Mr H O'Brien. This land is now bounded by Polding, Church, Brown and Comu streets were Luff Motors and the Thunderbird Motel are located.
Mrs Lesley Cox (Life Member, former Show Secretary) updated the history book as part of the celebrations for our 150th year in 2013. For more details about the book, please contact our Show Secretary.